Sausage and Apples

First of all, I apologize for the lack of recipes lately. The months of November and December have been extremely busy and I have been neglecting my blog :( In the next week, I hope to post several Christmas cookie recipes. This yummy recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks: 'Simply in Season' by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert, commissioned by the Mennonite Central Committee. I had the priviledge of meeting Mary Beth Lind at a workshop while I was attending Messiah College. This recipe - Sausage and Apples - is featured in the 'Winter' section of the cookbook. I served this over noodles and added a vegetable as a side. Enjoy!


Ingredients
4-6 links sausage, pierced in serveral places
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup apple jelly
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 medium onion, cut in slices
3 firm apples, cored & sliced in thick wedges
1 tsp. basil
pinch of pepper

Directions
In a large skillet lightly coated with oil, brown sausage on all sides over medium-high heat, turning often, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Mix together the apple juice, apple jelly and mustard. Set aside.

Add onion to the same skillet used for the sausage. Place on medium heat and stir often until starting to brown. Add more oil if needed.

Add apples and stir until starting to brown. Then stir in juice mixture (from above).

Sprinkle the basil and pepper on top. Return sausages to pan, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until sausages are completely cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts