Spaghetti Night at the Kipe's

Spaghetti is a staple at our house. It is usually my go-to dinner when I don't have a lot of time. Instead of buying spaghetti sauce (like Ragu), I like to use plain tomato sauce and add my own spices. It saves you a couple of bucks, too..I can get a 15.5 oz. can of Giant-brand tomato sauce for 79 cents! Cheap, cheap, cheap! I usually have the other ingredients in my pantry (onion, garlic and spices). You can buy a small box of spaghetti for less than a dollar and you only need a 1/2 lb. of ground beef.

The texture and flavor of this sauce are perfect for us, but feel free to make your own changes like adding ground turkey, mushrooms, or other spices (such as red pepper flakes). There is no need to add tomato paste unless you like a really thick sauce.

Note: This recipe is perfect for 2 people. You will definitely want to double (or triple) the recipe if you're serving 3+.

I usually serve spaghetti with a small leafy green salad and garlic bread. I like to make my own garlic bread by using leftover sandwich bread or hamburger buns. Preheat your oven to 425. Place bread on baking sheet. Spread each slice with butter and sprinkle with desired spices (I use garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, thyme and parsley). Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, pop it in the oven for 5-7 minutes and you're done!



Ingredients
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (15.5 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
Hot, cooked spaghetti

Directions
In a large, non-stick skillet, brown and cook the beef over medium heat (there is no need to add oil because of the fat from the meat). Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a small bowl and keep warm. Drain some of the grease, reserving about one teaspoon - use this to saute the onion and garlic (in the same skillet) until tender.

Add ground beef back to the pan and add the tomato sauce and seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve over hot pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts